Westhove Castle - Monument
Located between Domburg and Oostkapelle, Castle Westhove is a place with a rich and complex history. This castle, once a wooden fortress and later a stone defense tower, has witnessed numerous historical events, including Viking attacks and sieges during the Eighty Years' War.
What to Expect at Castle Westhove?
- Historical Depth: Admire the beautiful historical architecture of Castle Westhove, dating back to the Middle Ages and undergoing various transformations over the centuries. It served as a hunting lodge for abbots and was visited by historical figures such as Floris V and Charles V.
- Spanish Siege and Sea Beggars: The castle experienced a turbulent period in 1572 when it was captured by Spanish troops and later recaptured by the Sea Beggars, who largely destroyed it.
- Golden Age and Present: In the Golden Age, Castle Westhove was discovered by wealthy merchants. Nowadays, the castle functions as a hostel, allowing visitors to take a peek inside. The adjacent café and terrace are perfect for a relaxing break.
- Terra Maris: The Zeeland Museum of Nature and Landscape, Terra Maris, is located in the Orangery next to the castle, offering a deeper insight into the natural history of Zeeland.
- Natural Beauty: The castle is situated in the stunning De Manteling landscape, perfect for walks. Enjoy the beautifully landscaped gardens surrounding the castle, providing a serene and picturesque setting. Due to its proximity to the beach, a visit can be perfectly combined with a day by the sea.
A Historical Journey of Discovery
Visit Castle Westhove for a unique glimpse into the rich history of Zeeland, surrounded by beautiful nature and culture.
Furthermore Westhove Castle is near the following sights: Terra Maris (±125 m), Marie Tak van Poortvliet (±1,8 km), Subtropical swimming pool De Parel (±2,3 km), Health and beauty center De Parel (±2,3 km) & Domburgsche Golf Club (±2,4 km).